Saturday, May 24, 2014

Do small things with great love...



I have so many cool stories I can't wait to share about how others have shared our burden, come to our rescue and shown us amazing, unconditional love. In fact, I could write nothing BUT those stories and it excites me to begin the process of recording them. One particular experience has been on my mind today and I knew it was time to write it up.

I have a friend at church named Sue.  She's a mother and grandmother - and the woman seriously has a heart of gold.  She's unique... a bit quirky maybe, but compassionate beyond description. I've grown to love and respect her very much and know few others that love as unconditionally as she does. Another thing I love about Sue (and this might sound odd) but she always has yummy gum. As in like... remind-you-of-your-childhood-super-delicious sweet-watermelon-flavored gum.  Just chatting with her, you can smell the sweet scent and you can't help but smile while your taste buds scream for a piece.  On more than one occasion, I've complimented her on this lovely aroma and have been rewarded with a stick to enjoy.  Kind of a silly, insignificant thing, but a fun connection I have with this sweet friend.  She'll even pass me (or my wild 8 year old) a piece between pews if I wink and give her a signal! :)

I was at church, it was probably only a Sunday or two after Eric had been diagnosed for the second time.  I always hated those initial weeks - the first time you see someone, it's either emotional or awkward and I dreaded the duty of individually breaking that ice with everyone. It's just hard. When the meetings were over that day and I was be-lining for the door, she stopped me.  She grabbed my hand and immediately I could see her eyes welling up with the biggest tears you've ever seen. As if she'd had it forever and had just been waiting for the right moment... she put her hand in her pocket and pulled out a package of her famous "Watermelon Twist" gum. Not just ANY old pack... it was a gift; adorned with a small bow tied with baker's twine. In her soft, choked up voice... she said, "I'm so sorry. I just didn't know what else to do when I heard."  She hugged me so tight and in my ear she pleaded for me to call her when I needed help with the kids; a promise that her husband could bring her over anytime I needed her. Understandably, my eyes welled up too when I realized how much she loved me, cared about our family and how much she had wracked her brain to think of the right things to do and say the first time she saw me. My heart melted, not really over the pack of gum, but because she thought of the one personal thing that connected us and used that to show her love. Her gesture that day was nothing short of perfect and I think of it often.

I love you, Sue.  Thank you for teaching me that small things, done or given with great love, can make the biggest difference - even if it's just a .99 cent pack of gum.


GET NOTIFICATIONS OF NEW CONTENT BY "LIKING" MY FACEBOOK PAGE {HERE}

1 comment:

  1. This just made me cry! That was so thoughful of Sue. The stories you've shared over the last 2 years have, on more than one occasion, reminded me how important it is to offer love and service that is truly personal. I love that! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete